Video Game Influencers

Home Forums Quest Video Game Influencers

This topic contains 1 reply, has 2 voices, and was last updated by  laura courdi 2 months, 1 week ago.

• Author

Jon Festinger
    Keymaster

An interesting evolution in video game law broadly defined comes to us from world of social media. As Youtube created “stars” many of those were gamers (think PewDiePie) doing play-throughs, reviews etc. Twitch as a dedicated video game channel reinforced the trend. As new generations who barely watch television and may have little clue that advertising on television is pretty heavily regulated, the FTC has become involved in requiring disclosure by influencers of any consideration they have received from video game companies or other interests that may appear to influence their on-line takes.

Check out the attached story from this past Friday: FTC demands disclosure from influencers following TmarTn CS:GO scandal – Commission rules that influencers must “clearly and conspicuously” identify links to products and services

Thoughts/reactions?

Jon

laura courdi
    Participant

After I read the article, I have wondered if the Canadian Code of Advertising Standards deals with influencers.

On the web site of Advertising Standards Canada, I found a customer’s complaint about an digital advertising. The Council agreed with the complainant who alleged that a post on Instagram by an influencer should have been identified as such. The Council found that the post was disguised advertising and failed to disclose the relevant information. The advertiser amended the post with the addition of “#ad”. I understand that the Council expects that the influencer or reviewer, who has a “material connection” with the entity providing a product, discloses that the message is not commercially neutral.

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.